Tuesday, March 22, 2011

ON THE BEACH, Part II





This is another shot of the bathing beach on City Island.

This shows the concrete beach with concrete steps in the background. Concrete, I assume now, so it would not wash away in the Susquehanna's frequent floodings and ice breakups.
To the right of the trees would have been the large, two-story bath house. As i recall it had a half-timbered, sort of Tudor look to it.

There was also a refreshment stand and an outdoor juke box on the back of the first floor and open to the beach.

For some reason I remember going there once when I was back from college and hearing Donnie Brooks' "Mission Bell" (1960) blasted across the beach over and over. Now I never hear that song without thinking of City Island and my Harrisburg and college days.
"My love is higher than a MISSION BELL,
Deeper than a wishing WELL!"

                                                      Photo from an Ektachrome transparency by Ross J. Care. All Rights Reserved.

This was an Ektachrome slide which had seriously redded out. It was also extremely grainy.
I did the best I could with it in Photoshop, but there's no comparison to the previous Kodachrome slide of me at the same location with the canoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment